Teen Was 9 Months Pregnant When She Climbed The Wall. 24 Hours Later, She Gave Birth On U.S. Soil


When we want something bad enough, then we make it happen. Just ask one Honduran woman by the name of Maryury Elizabeth Serrano-Hernandez. The 19-year-old wanted nothing more than to have her baby born in the United States, so within 24 hours of going into labor, she climbed over the border fence from Tijuana into the United States with her husband and two-year-old son.

“With the faith of God I always said my son would be born in the United States,” said Serrano-Hernandez, who is said to be the first member of the migrant caravan to give birth after crossing over to the U.S., seeking asylum.

Last week, Serrano-Hernandez and her husband made the decision to climb over the fence. As soon as they reached the other side, they touched American soil and made their way up a dirt hill.

Upon entering the U.S. Serrano-Hernandez and her family were detained by agents from the Imperial Beach Station in San Diego. A spokesperson recalled how Serrano-Hernandez was complaining of abdominal pain and soon after they discovered she was eight months pregnant, border patrol transported her to the local hospital. While in the hospital, immigration officers attempted to put handcuffs on the young girl, however; nurses convinced them otherwise.

Serrano-Hernandez’s nurses in the hospital ended up being her angels, as they held a fundraising collection for the family. Unfortunately, all of the items that she received, were confiscated when she returned to the detention center, however; the diapers and clothing will go back to the family, considering they are needed for the baby.

Serrano-Hernandez and her family were released from the detention center, and they are currently being housed by a family until they can make the move to Columbus, Ohio where they will continue their asylum proceeding in court.

Already well along in her pregnancy, Serrano-Hernandez and her family began their journey to the U.S. in mid-October. They came on the first wave of the enormous caravan that set out from Honduras and remained in Guatemala for some time before the Mexican government gave in and allowed masses of Central American migrants to walk through its southern border.

Univision television network has followed their journey and has captured them in moments where the family of three at the time were seen sleeping in a tent on the side of the road. In another instance, they were seen being transported by a livestock truck with several other immigrants.

According to Serrano-Hernandez’s husband, Ortiz, the immigration officers asked them to return to Tijuana, however; they declined the request and instead turned themselves in. At first, the officers didn’t believe that she was pregnant, and then the contractions and labor pains picked up speed and they knew they needed to get her to a hospital.

source: awm.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *